Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Old Bean

Jonathan's name for Ella has been "Bean" since the week she was born. It started because he looked down at her sleeping one day, and the way she was laying there her body was shaped like a kidney bean. So now it is not uncommon to also hear Miles call her Bean or Ellabean just like Jonathan. My names for her are Boo and Ladybug or sometimes just Lady. This week I've been finding myself calling her Bean also. Here's why. Last week I was reading the instructions on a bag of frozen green beans and there they had also listed a few bean colloquialisms. One was that fifty years ago in England if you called someone "old bean" it meant you were good friends. That struck me so sweetly. It's funny how when Elijah was born, I wondered who this stranger was who had come in and taken over my life. With Miles I never felt like he was a stranger and he just quickly fit into our little family. When Ella was born it was as if she'd always been with us. Here is this precious, precious little girl who seemingly sort of happened upon us. When we found out we were expecting so soon after losing Dad, I thought another baby was the last thing I needed. I just wanted my dad back. But I know part of Ella's purpose is to remind me that I still have life in me and that I am so incredibly blessed. The song "In My Daughter's Eyes" says this:
In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero
I am strong and wide and I know no fear.
But the truth is plain to see, she was sent to rescue me,
I see who I want to be in my daughter's eyes.
In part, Ella was sent to rescue me. From my sadness. From my questioning. From my doubt. God answered a prayer from so long ago when He sent Ella to me. He revealed to me the delicate details of His timing and the sweet grace of His comfort. I can't wait to see what else He has purposed Ella for. But for now, she's our Old Bean. Our good friend.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your entires. It's as though you have been blogging for years.