Friday, September 14, 2007

My dad (and my new dad?)

This picture was taken just before Christmas 2004. Dad and I had finished our annual Christmas shopping day for my mom - which included little shopping, but we saw a movie and had lunch and a great day together. Dad bought me some nice Gap pants for the office Christmas party. He always bought me a little something on our shopping days. These trips could be difficult, as I knew what Mom wanted but Dad always had his own, different, some good and some not-so-good ideas. But I had grown to love these days with Dad. This was our last. At the end of it Dad played in Elijah's tent with him. It was an amazing feat that he fit in it as he was 6'4". I'm so grateful for this picture.

Today I had to explain to Elijah that my mom's cat, Chessie had died this morning and was now in heaven with Poppa. He noticed the tears in my eyes and came to give me a big hug. He said,"Mom, when I grow up, I'm going to be a new dad." I asked him what he meant and he said, "well, you miss your dad, Poppa, right?" All I could do was smile. He seems to think that when he grows up he can be my new dad and take care of me. He wants to take away my pain. He's like the other men in my life - Dad, Jonathan, and my brother - he wants to take care of me just like them. God puts such sweet spirits in our children.

1 comments:

Mom of 4 Maniacs said...

Someday it will quit surprising me how sweet God made our little boys to be. But now it always blows my mind.

That was very sweet.